Family Portrait Photography
Auckland portrait photographers based in Newmarket and Howick offering classical, contemporary, and location portraits for families, including graduation, beauty make-overs, maternity, newborns and babies.
In these fast-moving times it's too easy let treasured times in our lives pass us by. We think it's important to capture those moments today. When we shoot your family portrait, we take the time to understand how your family works in order to bring out your personalities and individual characters. We'll give you an image to cherish forever - a timeless piece.
What sort of portraits can we do?
We can capture you and your family in our studio or outdoors. You may already have a feel for what you prefer, but here are some things to consider:
- Retain the focus on the people as there's less distraction in the background.
- Studio lighting is interesting and dynamic.
- Can be done in any weather, and often more pleasant for those who don't like sunlight or wind.
- Provides a more relaxed casual feel.
- Nature provides vibrant colours and variety.
- An excellent option for canvas prints.
Timeless Images Photography has the largest family portrait studio backdrops in Auckland. We frequently photograph extended families with the ability to fit more than 40 people into one photograph.
The Photography Experience:
The Session Consultation: This can be done either on the phone or in person. We will discuss:
- The dynamics of your family unit so we understand who you all are as individuals.
- The style of photography which may suit you and your family best based on your personal preference and home furnishings.
- Presentation options you're considering such as: Wall Art, Albums, and Box Sets. This helps the photographer focus on what's important during the session so you get exactly what you want.
- What to expect on the day, what to do, and where to go.
- What clothing to bring.
The Session: Your photography session is up to one hour either on location or in our studio. You are free to bring along as many of your family as you like. During this time we will take a number of different compositions. This typically includes an all-inclusive family portrait before splitting into smaller groups such as grandparents, immediate family members, grandchildren, children, partners etc.
The Design Consultation: You will be invited back to our studio to view a selection of images on our large projector screen, where we will wow you with 20 to 40 of the best images from your portrait session. We will show you different presentation options including: Framing, Canvas, Box Sets and Albums. Prices start from $175 for a gift sized image and go up to $4500 for something the size of a door.
What to wear:
If you would like to wear traditional cultural clothing - you are more than welcome to!
Choosing simple-coloured clothing is key in a group or family portrait - too many colours and patterns will cause clutter and will distract the focus away from faces. No one person should dominate the portrait - it's important for groups to coordinate their clothing colour and style. Everyone in the photo should be dressed in the same style - whether formal or informal.
Tops: Long sleeves are ideal to keep the focus on faces. If you're not sure, bring a selection of white/light-coloured tops and a selection of black/dark-coloured tops. Dark tops are generally best, as dark is slimming. Avoid one person dressing in a strong colour unless you want this person to be the focus of the shoot.
However in saying all this, please feel free to bring your favourite clothes in any style/colour/pattern, especially if children are involved. We all have different personalities and there’s plenty of time to explore several styles!
Make-up should be worn as usual. An extra coat of mascara will enhance your eyes, and a little colour on the cheeks will provide a lovely glow. Be sure to bring along your make-up and a comb/brush for last-minute freshening. Men should shave and groom a couple of hours before the portrait session to avoid the five-o'clock shadow.
We aim is to give you something you will love and cherish forever - images which last and don't fade. We want capture you and your family looking your personal best.
Sitting Fee: Your portrait session will cost $185. If your product order is greater than $500, we will credit the sitting fee into your order, so the sitting is effectively free with an order of more than $500.
Prints range from $175 for a matted 5x7-inch print to $1500 for a large wall-sized canvas.
Below are areas we pride our business on:
- Each portrait session is personalised - we photograph you and your family in a way which suits you. This may be composed or candid, studio or location.
- We make your portrait session a fun, relaxed experience.
- We use only the best camera equipment available (Canon 5D Mark IIIs with professional-range lenses) to ensure your images are so sharp it's like they are real life.
- We offer everyone, from infants to seniors, state-of-the-art photo retouching so you look your personal best. You will NOT look 'Photoshopped' - just great.
- Our highly-respected photographic studios in the heart of Howick and in Newmarket offer a professional environment and professional results.
- We work with New Zealand's best photographic printing labs to provide archival quality finishes.
- We place a high importance on continuous training of our staff, conference attendance, and maintain a membership with The New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography. This means we are constantly improving and staying up-to-date with the latest photographic techniques.
With a Timeless Images portrait, you can catch those fleeting moments of joy and beauty and turn them into a work of fine art that will last a lifetime. We look forward to meeting you, and photographing your family portraits.